My Service Dog, Jade

Monday, April 9, 2012

Jade's New Boots

Jade now has her first pair of new shoes. I ordered them via the Internet, and they arrived today. They're great, and they look great on her too! I ordered them for a couple of reasons. First, where I live it gets really hot in the summer and her paws need to be protected from the hot pavement, since she will have to accompany me anywhere I might have to go during the hot summer days. Secondly, when we go for our "walks," we like to use some of the desert trails and there are a lot of rocks and stickers. She will be relieved in her new boots and we won't have to stop every 10 feet to pull the stickers out of her paws.

These seem to be some great shoes and are very padded and have pretty tough rubber souls for protection and traction. I think she'll get used to them fairly quickly. I tried them on her tonight and had her walk around a bit and so a couple of service tasks, just to help her understand that she can do anything with them on. I don't know if you've ever put a pair of dog boots on your dog, but it's so hard not to laugh at them when you do. It's important not to laugh though, so as not to humiliate your pup. Don't think they don't know you're laughing at them....they know.

I put them on, gave her some treats and tried to make a very positive experience for her. She did well. Over time, she'll get more and more used to them and soon she'll be jogging down the desert trails with no problem, thanking me for getting her shoes. I really like the quality of the shoe. They're made my neopaws and are orthopedic quality.

Don't be afraid to try some shoes for your dog too, if stickers, hot pavement, snow, rocks, etc are an issue for your dog. If you have a service dog that has to accompany you everywhere and your pavement gets hot, please think about your dog's paws. Some photos for you all....






10 comments:

  1. my dog had a foot injury once and he refused to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade didn't exactly welcome them when I put them on her either, lol. She seems to be able to walk and work in them, but it's gonna take some time to get used to them. I hope she does okay in them after some time, they weren't cheap that's for sure! I just can't possibly let her walk on the pavement here in the summer without them, not during the day anyway. Sometimes it's so hot that the asphalt melts and moves under your feet when you walk on it...and it sticks to your shoes, so I can't imagine how her poor paws would feel....ouch! Thanks for reading Dawn and taking time to comment. I appreciate everyone stopping by here and commenting on my blog.

      Delete
    2. "Sometimes it's so hot that the asphalt melts and moves under your feet when you walk on it...and it sticks to your shoes,"

      EGADS!!

      Delete
  2. I love these photos, and your bravery, for showing those who want to see what a service should be, and what they shouldn't be...peace, light and so much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, so much for stopping by and taking time to read and comment on my blog. I appreciate you . Your courage inspires me, my friend! Much love and peace to you too, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Jade's shoes are more stylish than the shoes I had as a kid. I'd try putting a set on Chico, but he'd likely chew them to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's hilarious Jim! They are pretty darn stylish, aren't they? LOl and they weren't cheap either! Haha! Poor Chico, I guess he just knows a dog is a dog, and don't try to dress me up! LOl. Thanks, Jim, for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This is actually cute. You should make more post like this one where do you dont hate on Pit Bulls but instead just talk about your dog. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Tay. Listen, sometimes you do a better job than others at not sounding like a completely crazed nutter. ;) I do actually write a lot about my dog, maybe you missed the posts about the training with the firemen. Regardless, I don't write about pit bulls to "hate on them." I write about pit bulls to educate people on the dangers of pit bulls. There is A LOT of danger associated with pit bulls and people need to be educated on it. Call it what you want.

      I write about pit bulls on my service dog blog because there are constantly service dogs being attacked and mutilated by pit bull type dogs. This is a very SERIOUS problem, which you may or may not understand, but it's a fact. Service dog teams are sick of it, as am I, and something needs to be done about it! EVERYONE has rights, not just pit bulls owners! Disabled people have rights too! They have the right to walk down the street with their service dog, without being viciously attacked by some vicious pit bull and subsequently having to put their service dog back together or God forbid, retire their service dog, because it's no longer able to work. Please see my page on Service Dog Dangers. Then tell me there are no problems with pit bulls.

      Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment. and....thank you for the compliment on my dog's new boots.

      Delete
    2. I saw the fireman post dont worry but the boots were cuter. I just find that in the majority of you postings that somehow you drag pit bulls into it and make them seem like somthing they are not. For example that picture of a pit bull you keep posting, that is not what they look like at all. Yes pit bulls can be dangerous because of their size and strength but so can alot of dogs. Try educating the public on how to aviod dog bites in general because its not just Pit Bulls who bite. I volunteer at a shelter and yes there has been a few pit bulls (i think all of 2) who were in the quarintine section for bites but there have all been golden retrivers, labs, huskies, and many small dogs. People need to understand how dogs think and behave because most of the time when someone gets bit its because they did not read the dogs signs. For example the lady who was recently bitten on TV by a masiff mix. It was her fault she was bitten, the way she knelt down to the dog and first of all the whole TV set surroundings were completly new to the dog.
      I understand that you and other people with service dogs are mad about attacks (which I have never heard about where I live) but dont blame a whole breed(s) of dog(s) because of a few attacks, guarentee it was there stupid irresponilbe owners who allowed the attack to happen, by either having the dog run loose or not taking the time to socialize the dog properly. There are SO many pit bulls out there that are GREAT dogs and you never mention any of them.

      Delete